Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Fifty!


50 Posts! w00t!


As a cricket fan I think it is appropriate that I raise my keyboard in recognition of this milestone. For those that don't know anything about cricket when a batting player reaches a significant milestone they raise their bat in recognition of the milestone. Batters are also raising their bat to recognise the support they get from the team and from the crowd.

I consider writing fifty posts an achievement. Whilst by no stretch would I call it an impossible task and nor am I the first to achieve this goal. But much like a cricket player the first fifty you make on the big stage is memorable, your first century even more so. The first milestones are always important because they confirm the belief that you hold inside that you can achieve your goals. Anyone can write a blog post (and anyone does) much in the same way that anyone can hold a cricket bat (and anyone should). I also wouldn't say that my fifty posts are elegantly crafted prose but when I first picked up a cricket bat I couldn't use it either. As a matter of fact it took me five years to reach double figures and another three seasons after that to score my first and only fifty. Each time I went out to bat I took what I learnt from my previous efforts and slowly became the player I am today.

Before you think that I am a total cricketing inebriate I have always been a bowler and you may think that a cricketing analogy involving five wicket innings and ten wicket matches would be more appropriate. But if I only did what I was already good at I would never have scored that fifty and I would never have written these fifty posts.

With my analogy of cricket well and truly overdone, my raising of the keyboard is a sign of thanks to those that have supported my efforts (proofreading, editing, commenting or just reading) and I hope that this milestone will become the foundation of a much greater innings. I'm sure it will as long as I can keep learning from each post.

note: Yes, this what I look like.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great stuff! Keep it up.

Chad Stone said...

Thanks Grant. I've appreciated every little bit of help you've given.