Monday, June 2, 2008

Advertising @ the French Open

I was watching some tennis on the weekend and noticed that advertisers are required to change their brand colours to suite the basic French Open colour scheme. At first I thought this was just a "European" angle on advertising as I remembered being told a story about a town in Germany that managed to force McDonald's to change its logos and general colour combinations to suite the style of the town.

After doing a bit of searching on the tubes I couldn't find any pictures of that town, so you will have to believe me. What I did see is that the Australian Open didn't go to the same extents as the French Open. Here is a image from the Australian Open and here is one from the French Open. While the difference isn't significant, the French Open setup was a lot easier on my eyes with the advertising blending in and creating a much nicer visual experience.

If only we could start getting some websites to care about how much advertising affects their overall visual experience.

No comments: