Sunday, May 25, 2008

The potential defect

For those that want to know the defect was a memory problem. The application (Nokia Nseries PC Suite) when you changed from tab to tab, would acquire a several 100k of private bytes. If you keep changing tabs the memory usage continues to climb. This application is designed to start with the computer and remain operational the entire time (its for phone synchronisation). If you didn't turn your computer off at night after a few days of usage its memory usage can get quite high.

Personally I don't really use the application, as a matter fact it bugged me, because it starts when Windows starts and I don't like applications to do that without asking first. I was looking for a way to turn that "feature" off and just happened to have process explorer open on my secondary monitor set to sort by private bytes. After much clicking about, I noticed it work its way up the list... after that, like all good testers, I was deliberately trying to workout what was causing the memory usage to rise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the bug report.